Glenmore Beach Holidays - South Coast, KwaZulu Natal
Click here for Glenmore Accommodation
When you reach Glenmore Beach on the KZN South Coast, it's your 'last resort' before Port Edward lying on the Eastern Cape border. In this picturesque South Coast village, you have all the time in the world to sit around the braai at days end, and discuss 'the biggest wave', 'the one that got away' or 'the almost hole in one', as Glenmore Beach offers South Coast visitors the ultimate great escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Glenmore Beach, with it's long stretches of unspoilt beach and boisterous waves crashing onto rocky outcrops, is the ideal South Coast destination for swimming, surfing, kayaking, snorkelling, and fishing at Glenmore Beach Pulpit Rock, a favourite spot for fisherman to cast their rods for Rock Cod, Shad and other reef fish, off one of the most heavenly beaches on the KZN South Coast.
On this stretch of the South Coast at Dolphin Bay, dolphins ride the waves and whales cruise up the coast between April and October, and when the moon is full, go crab and crayfish hunting in this truly magical spot. Another incredible South Coast experience is the annual Sardine Run which generally hits Glenmore Beach around the months of July and August.. This is when billions of tiny silver fish bring with them numerous larger game fish, dolphins, sharks, seals, whales and a variety of birdlife seeking an easy meal. The annual South Coast Sardine Run off Glenmore Beach is undoubtedly one of the most spectacular marine events and id referred to as The Greatest Shoal on Earth
Other Glenmore Beach attractions include:
- Nightingale Shipwreck, which ran aground on the rocks off Glenmore Beach in 1933. Part of the wreck, the boiler and cylinder, can still be seen on the rocks and is accessible at low tide. Interested visitors can still pick up pieces of porcelain or trader beads from the beach, particularly after storms and high seas.
- Umtamvuma Nature Reserve - where visitors will find clear streams, awe inspiring panoramic views, and towering fortress like sandstone koppies and cliffs located within the reserve. This South Coast reserve also serves as a paradise for birdwatchers, which includes sightings of a colony of Cape Vultures who build their nests in the cliffs that border the river.
- Natal Space Centre - an astronomical museum housing an extremely large and interesting private collection of telescopes, optical equipment, books and astronomical photographs, posters, and lasers.
- Wild Coast Casino (13.8km from Glenmore Beach) - one of SA's oldest and most popular casinos, with over 400 slot machines with smart card technology.
- Mac Banana Farm Stall - go treat yourself to a gastronomical experience at Mac Banana, situated within the idyllic surrounds of a Munster banana farm, this is a unique South Coast family venue which offers shopping, entertainment, and of course its famous delicious, giant pancakes!
- South Coast Golf Courses - known as the 'Golf Coast', there are eleven KwaZulu Natal, South Coast Golf Courses, all linked by a superb road network within easy reach of each other, and with well appointed golf clubhouses and a friendly 19th hole!. Glenmore beach is ideally placed for a visit to the Wild Coast Golf Course - one of the most sought after golf courses within one and a half hours of Durban. Southbroom Golf Club and Margate Golf Club are also very close by.
In this little piece of paradise, stay in Glenmore Self Catering accommodation South Coast, situated on the edge of the ocean overlooking the most beautiful bay and secluded beach; overnight in a Glenmore Bed & Breakfast which offers elegant country living by the sea, or enjoy a Camping and Caravanning holiday on grassy sites shaded by indigenous trees.
Towns near Glenmore Beach, South Coast:
North from Glenmore Beach
Palm Beach (4.9km from Glenmore Beach)
Trafalgar (8.8km from Glenmore Beach)
San Lameer (10.2km from Glenmore Beach)
South from Glenmore Beach
Leisure Bay (5.9km from Glenmore Beach)
Port Edward (9.7km from Glenmore Beach)